Thoughts on Writing Horror Well

We all like to be afraid from time to time. That's why we listen to ghost stories from a very young age. It excites us, makes us look back, but we always come
back for more.

Connect your reader with conflicts and tensions directly in your first sentence. Have a good decor for your story. a sharp reader. The cleaner your player is, the faster he turns the pages to see what will happen. A good horror story is based on anticipation. You have to find what scares you, so surprise and frighten your readers. Turns in the plot are good ways to do it. Never let your readers or characters see what's coming. As the king of the abomination writes;

"I'll try to scare you first, and if it does not work, I'll make you horrible, and if I can not, I'll try to get you out, I'm not proud." - Stephen King

Find out what your character is afraid of and put in the worst of situations. Any form of anxiety can have a powerful response if you set the scenario correctly. Why is the character so scared? How do you respond to this situation? The stakes are always higher. This will increase the tension.

"The spirit will not overcome fear, but action will do it." - W. Clement Stone

Ask yourself the following questions. What happens if your character fails? What is the worst thing that can happen in a bad situation? How can I make things worse? Do not help your character get out of the situation, create him, sit down and see what he does to survive. The best way to scare others is to be intimate with that fear. Write on your dark place, your fear. Create strange, unknown and unreal situations. Take readers out of their safe and comfortable lives. Question "What if?" Visit again the dark places of your life. This can be embarrassing, but it helps you remember what the real feelings were at the time. So reflect those feelings in your writings.

"I lost my mother at 14. My daughter died at the age of 6. I lost my faith as a Catholic.When I write, darkness is still there.
it's painful. -Anne Rice

Readers expect to be afraid. Make sure they can not write your story, let them continue after that. Make them uncomfortable, have their nightmares. I like when I wrote a story and someone says; "I fought to sleep after reading." This is the kind of reaction you want to generate in your reader.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of humanity is fear, and the oldest and strongest form of fear is the fear of the unknown." - H.P. lovecraft

Do not show it. Let them feel the fear of the character. Let them experience the beating heart, sweaty hands. Show them the negative consequences of failure. Show them the worst case if your character fails. Let them worry about your character's survival or not. Frighten your readers and have fun
she.

Comments